House Projects {Week 2 Update}

Again, I am way late in posting the updates. But fixing up a house is a lot of work! I also needed some time to recover before posting this one. Recover from what? you might ask. Well, we had a little bit of a catastrophe with the hardwood floors. We decided to refinish them ourselves {to save some money and because Colin wanted to do them}. Colin and my dad spent a full weekend sanding them down {like three full 12 hour days}.

Here’s a couple before photos to remind your how bad they actually were:

floors_before2 floors_before1

They looked amazing after they were sanded down.

floors1 floors4 floors3 floors2

Nice, huh??

Then we made a last minute decision to stain them dark. We had been going back and forth between leaving them light or staining them dark. The wood upstairs is red oak and the downstairs is white so staining would make it look the same throughout the house. So we went with it.

Colin went to Home Depot and asked the sales guys for help picking out a stain and then he spent the rest of the day staining the entire floor.

The next day he went over there to check on them and they looked horrible. Blotchy, streaky, totally uneven. Pretty heartbreaking actually. Colin went on the website of the brand of stain he purchased and it said in bold letters, Do not use on hardwood floors or large surfaces. Uhhh, what?!?! So apparently we got some really bad advice from the Home Depot guy. This made Colin feel a little better that it wasn’t completely all because of his skills, but still!! All that time and hardwork spent on them! ugh.

stained-floors2 stained-floors3

Home Depot did refund the money for the stain…but we were still left with needing to completely re-do them. My dad and Colin made one last attempt to try and fix them before deciding to call in a professional. The guy felt pretty bad for us and gave us a good deal. It pretty much drained our entire move-in reno budget, but it was well worth it.

finished-floors1 finished-floors2

I have a million other updates and we are living in the house now…so stay tuned!

Breaking the Pacifier Habit

Claire has been seriously attached to her pacifier {or “paci” as she calls it}. I haven’t been particularly worried about it, but I was starting to notice that her front teeth seemed to be pushing out a bit. So I finally decided we should launch “operation break the pacifier habit.” This was probably most hard for me…I started to worry that Claire was going to throw a major tantrum and that we would have to endure a few sleepless nights. Ugh.

pacifier-habit2 Continue reading

House Projects {Week 1 Update}

I’m a little late on posting my first week’s house update {considering we’re already past week 2}…but better late than never I guess! The first week went pretty well…only one emergency room visit…yep, Colin sliced his finger and had to get stitches. I guess we can’t expect EVERYTHING to go smoothly.

Here are a few more “before” pictures of the place…some of these aren’t true before pictures because they’re after getting in and demoing a bit, but they’ll give you a good idea of the shape the house was in! Continue reading

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...